THORNBURG FITNESS CENTER
Dr. Mary Lou Thornburg
Dr. Mary Lou Thornburg was appointed to the physical education faculty at Bridgewater State College in 1964. After a distinguished career of 33 years, including long service as chairperson of the Department of Movement Arts, Health Promotion and Leisure Studies, she retired in1997.
Dr. Thornburg became acting dean of the School of Education and Allied Studies, serving until 1999. Her service to the college continued as chairperson of the Adrian Tinsley Center Planning Committee, which had overall responsibility for every phase of planning of the college's first field house. The $17.4 million Adrian Tinsley Center was opened officially in October 2002.
Dr. Thornburg's experience, vision and commitment to excellence in physical education were instrumental in all stages of the development of the Adrian Tinsley Center, including its state of the art fitness Center, which now bears her name.
Fitness Center Membership Fees
|Semester||Annual||Full Summer||Summer Sessions|
|Students||FREE||FREE||$25.00||$12.50 per session|
|Faculty/Staff||$100.00||$200.00||$50.00||$25.00 per session|
|Alumni||$125.00||$275.00||$100.00||$50.00 per session|
|Membership Eligibility - Memberships and day passes are available to currently enrolled BSU students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Alumni must be degree-holding, have up-to-date contact information on file with the Davis Alumni Center, and have an active BSU Connect Card. All memberships are non-transferable and application for a refund must be submitted 30 days in advance. All New Members must register online for access (Registration Online)
Guest passes can be purchased at $10.00 per person per visit. All guests must be at least 18 years or older. Please refer to the guest policies and procedures for additional information.
Day Passes can also be purchased at $5.00 per visit. Patrons will be verified upon entering for BSU affiliation. Patrons must also have a valid federally issued photo Identification.
Locker Rental Fees:
These lockers are located in the Men's and Women's General Locker Room only.
$10.00 per semester
$20.00 per year
For further information contact Chuck Denune at 508-531-2704
- Opened in September, 2002 to the BSU community only: BSU Students, Faculty/Staff, Alumni
- Locker rooms, indoor track, and courts are open to any BSU Student, Faculty/Staff, or Alumni – free of charge (Connect card required).
- Lockers can be rented for $10/ semester or $20/ year.
- Eligible guests of members are allowed to use the fitness center for a $5 charge/day.
- BSU Athletes/teams cannot meet for practices in the fitness center, but many athletes purchase memberships and work out on their own.
- Tinsley parking for students is located in student lots only (Swenson Lot, etc.), not in Tinsley Lot.
- There is no personal training program, but members can sign up for free equipment orientations at any time.
- Clean Shoe Policy: Patrons are asked to bring clean footwear to wear in the fitness center or courts. (Strictly enforced during inclement weather)
- Employment Opportunities: Athletics and Recreation is BSU’s largest employer of student workers. Jobs vary by area.